Live your best life, expand your practice, build meaningful community and a deep sense of purpose.
Learn to teach yoga with confidence, inspiration and skill!
Join us for our amazing and comprehensive world class Yoga Teacher Training program and enrich your life and practice with the experience of senior teachers from the Krishnamacharya lineages of Ashtanga, Inyengar and Viniyoga.
Our weekend teacher training schedule is designed for those who live and work on Maui. We will keep the group small and intimate to allow for personal attention and mentoring for your personal and professional development. You will be part of a cohort that will work together and support each other on their Yoga training journey, building friendship, connection and community.
Great for massage therapists and other wellness professionals who want to expand their offerings, as well as any practitioner who is ready to go to the next level in their practice and are inspired to share their love of Yoga to inspire and serve others. There are more opportunities to share Yoga than ever!
2021 Weekend Maui Teacher Training Dates (Friday – Sunday)
Inquire about upcoming dates!
What makes our training unique?
- Our lineage and experience – we are Maui’s most established yoga and dance studio for 25 years
- Our program is rich with the experience of the world’s best senior teachers who have directly studied with the yoga masters and the origin of yoga
- Global recognition – the Maui Yoga Shala is recognized internationally
- We have alumni teachers and studio owners around the world
- The location is on Maui’s beautiful, famed north shore!
- Group size – you’ll find a smaller, intimate setting for more personalized attention
Key aspects to training
- Intelligent sequencing as a science and an art
- Principles of anatomy and body mechanics
- Advanced study of asana -alignment and strengthening
- Hands on adjustments
- Yoga history, philosophy, and spirituality
- Sanskrit names of poses and terms
- Use props to improve or modify a posture
- Classical yoga teachings in the style of hatha, vinyasa, Iyengar, ashtanga and its philosophy
- A well-rounded approach to developing both your personal practice and your teaching skills
Your transformative experience
- Confidence building
- The space and opportunity to find your own teaching style
- Cultivate your voice, both as a teacher and as an individual
- Discover lifelong friendships and connections
- Develop personal power while increasing strength
- Build a strong foundation for your practice for life
- Connecting to the deeper aspects of yourself though knowledge, devotion, and practice
Our curriculum is based on the Educational Standards of the Yoga Alliance. We provide a comprehensive framework of 5 specialized categories to ensure extensive training for our yoga teachers, enabling them to teach safely, confidently, and competently. All requirements as presented by Yoga Alliance will be covered for you to become a Registered Yoga Teacher (200-RYT) upon your certification. For all the details on our program offering see Curriculum.
Registration and Pricing
Techniques, Training and Practice (Hatha Yoga)
The best teachers are dedicated students themselves. The morning session will be a “classroom” environment to deepen their personal practice. The afternoon session will be a breakdown of the key poses practiced that morning. We will explore sequencing of the poses, use of props, how to give adjustments, and contraindications. Students will learn the Sanskrit names of all the poses as well as some of the mythological stories around the names of the poses.
Students will explore the importance and power of breath in practice, and will learn many different Pranayama techniques. We will introduce bandhas, and share practices that they can safely introduce into their personal practice as well as a classroom environment. We guide each student to understanding their body/mind more deeply and the practices that support them in their growth and healing.
We’ll study energy anatomy, chakras and koshas and learn the fascinating integration of current science with the ancient tradition. You’ll also learn about the quantum field of the heart and the art of personal practice.
• Asana postures and alignment with hands-on assists for deepening awareness
• Asana flow sequences
• Energetic effects of mantras
• Modifications for varying levels
• Integrating 3 bandhas into practice
• Sanskrit meaning & pronunciation
• Incorporating chanting, kriyas, and meditation into teaching
• Yoga teacher training manual
• Hawaiian spirit chants and the meaning of Aloha
Philosophy, Lifestyle & Ethics (Raja Yoga)
Students will explore the ancient and powerful teachings of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. The philosophy of Ashtanga yoga (the 8 limbs) will be discussed as well as how to apply these foundational steps to their personal lives as well as introducing them in a class environment. You will learn how to guide the chanting of key sutras as well as certain mantras. We will explore the ethical guidelines for teaching yoga and life on and off the mat. In the group circle we will look at how a yogic lifestyle supports the health of our communities and planet.
- Teaching as a yoga practice
- The 8 limbs of yoga (Ashtanga)
- Introduction to Patanjali’s yoga sutras
- Chants and mantras
- Yoga lifestyle off the mat
- Mythological aspects of asana and stories of the deities
- Organic, natural, lifestyle
- Yoga as a spiritual practice and living the spirit of Aloha
- Meditation & keys to mindful living
Functional Anatomy and Physiology
Understanding how the human body moves is integral to teaching in a manner that is safe, appropriate and effective.
We will explore the human movement system – primarily the skeletal, nervous and muscular systems as they relate to movement and motor learning. Students will learn about planes and directions of movements, joints, and the muscles that create movement at the joints. They will learn which primary tissues are at risk during asana practice and how to protect them. They will learn how to assess movement in asana and based on this to provide appropriate regression/progression of poses. We will explore the mechanics of breathing (Respiratory and Cardiovascular systems) and the health benefits of proper breathing.
- Anatomy, physiology, and kinesiology
- Benefits & contraindications for all techniques
- Effects of structural alignment on overall health
- Muscle and fascial physiology
- Avoiding common injuries in yogic practices
- Using props and variations to individualize practices
- Body-Mind-Prana relationship
- Teaching and giving safe instructions
Students will learn the art of becoming powerful, effective and inspiring teachers! We will explore aspects such as qualities of a student, qualities of a great teacher, cultivating your personal teaching values and style, how to assess different learning styles and how to motivate students. We will look at how to teach using verbal instruction, hands on adjustments, props and visualizations. You will gain an understanding why we teach in Sanskrit, and how to cultivate your teaching voice. We will look at how to implement Vinyasa Krama (step by step progression) into your teaching and take an in-depth workshop on sequencing. This will guide you in learning how to teach a mixed level class. We will also look at how to teach beginning students.
The “Business of Yoga” will also be addressed. This will include information on Yoga Alliance Registration, logging of teaching hours, insurance and continuing education. Students will be given guidance on how to conducts an “interview/demo class” and tips on how to create goals that support their new path.
- Cueing Sun Salutations A & B
- Tools for the teacher
- Cueing the breath
- Clarity in teaching language
- Incorporating hands-on assists & modifications
- Nurturing creativity in the learning process
- Cultivating personal style in content & delivery
- Business aspects of teaching yoga
Students will now put into place all they have learnt in the previous months training! Each student will formulate and then teach a full 1.5 hour class to their fellow students. Senior teachers from the training will assess them on quality of sequencing, verbal instruction/delivery, use of variations and props, gentle adjustments, and overall presentation (including the use of themes/mantras/philosophy/music). There will be a group feedback session after each practicum for fellow student comments as well. There will also be more teaching and assisting opportunities throughout the program.
- Practice teaching in small groups
- Applying techniques and principles learned from training to actual teaching
- Exploring various themes and use lot language while practicing teaching
- Teaching your own class to fellow trainees and guests
- Incorporating the spirit of Aloha into a class